Author Topic: Bachmann HO 3 truck shay conversion to HOn3  (Read 3091 times)

NGPhil

• Conductor
    • View Profile
Bachmann HO 3 truck shay conversion to HOn3
« on: July 10, 2011, 05:51:05 PM »
I'm waiting for my ho - hon3 conversion kit from NWSL, but I thought I'd fire up a thread here about it first.  This is a back burner project so I can't say this thread will get updated for a while but I wanted to get one thing out there.  I've read several places that the Bachmann shay isn't a good candidate for conversion due to it's size.  I'm showing several photos here to hopefully help some people understand the size of these models.  Now, I understand that the MDC shays were a bit over sized also but at least as a point of reference I think this comparison helps.  My observations are that the Bachmann shay is actually smaller than the MDC hon3 shays in some ways and bigger in others.  The cab height is actually lower on the Bmann shay than the MDC ones.  The cylinders on the Bmann is a lot bigger than the MDC shays.  I wish I had some other brass shays to compare this too but they're still a bit out of my price range.  Maybe one of these days. 

The Bachmann shay is a nice model.  I bought mine missing some parts and have some work to do on it to get it all back together but that's why I thought it would be a good buy.  I got it for a big discount and figured since it had to be disassembled to put the lineshaft back together it would only make sense to regauge it while it's apart.  Enough words.  Here are some shots.  Excuse the grass on the 2 truck  ;)

Phil Light

Batey

• Conductor
    • View Profile
Re: Bachmann HO 3 truck shay conversion to HOn3
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2011, 06:36:17 PM »
Thats nice to see a comparrison. I think if the converson isn't to difficult (fingers crossed) it would make a better model then the MDC 3 trucks being a better runner to start with.
Ill be interested to  see the results.
Cheers Adrian

HOn3 Logging Modeler from Down Under

Batey

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2011, 06:43:02 PM »
Just Ventured over to the bachmann parts site to check if i can get spare trucks for it incase one was to stuff up the converson of the trcuks they can be replaced for $15 each. So it wouldnt be to much of a drama if it failed i guess.

Where would be the cheapest online place to order the shays at the moment?
Cheers Adrian

HOn3 Logging Modeler from Down Under

NGPhil

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2011, 07:12:32 PM »
It should make a better runner.  It runs off the lineshaft unlike the MDC's with their cardan shafts.  The trucks themselves are sold out at bmann and probably will remain so.  I think the sold out in the first few months.  That's a very valuable part for not a lot of cash to the scratch building crew.  Plus people probably bought them just in case kind of thing.

Cheapest place would be ebay.  Try looking for used ones or ones that are missing parts if you don't mind kit bashing.  It looks like some of the MDC parts could stand in on the bmann. 
Phil Light

Brasshat98

• Brakeman
    • View Profile
    • Trolleys N' Dollies
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2011, 10:56:21 PM »
Anyone looking for the NWSL Bachmann Shay HO to HOn3 Conversion Kits, we have three of them in stock. Please contact us off-list at trolleysndollies@earthlink.net for order information.

Tom Meyer
Trolleys N' Dollies
Edgewater, FL
(386) 428-1676